CHILD PROTECTION POLICY
Vivek High School is a leading school that focuses on the all round development of its students by maintaining a perfect balance between scholastic and co-scholastic areas. It strongly believes that every child who joins the school, has the right to enjoy safety with a strong sense of personal, social and environmental responsibility.
The child protection policy of the Vivek High School addresses multiple dimensions of vulnerability that the child may come across during his/her stay in the school. The policy is in line with the constitution of India Article 15(3), which says that the state must make a special provision for children. Article 39 of part IV of constitution asks the state to direct its policy towards securing (among other things) that children are not abused, not forced by economic necessity to enter avocations unsuited for their age or strength; and that they are given opportunities to develop in a healthy manner and in conditions of freedom and dignity; protected against moral and material abandonment.
The United Nations Children`s Fund (UNICEF) defines child protection as “Strengthening of country environments, capacities and responses o prevent and protect children from violence, exploitation, abuse, neglect and effects of conflict.”
School has a great contribution in shaping the society. Child Protection Policy is a school’s commitment to protect children from abuse, exploitation and negligence. Child Protection Procedures are a set of rules which executes its policy into action. The CPP of VHS includes child protection into their processes, curriculum and staff recruitments.
GUIDELINES TO UPHOLD CPP:-
- To value, respect and listen to every child.
- To maintain strong protection systems for staff and students.
- To ensure all necessary checks before admitting a child and recruiting a staff member
- To involve and educate/counsel the parents for child safety.
- To provide clear processes, supervision and support for safety.
- To provide a learning environment that assures physical and emotional well being of students and staff.
OFFENCES UNDER CPP:-
- Child abuse occurs when a child is under the risk of a serious harm. It falls in the following categories:-
- PHYSICAL ABUSE:- Any attempt of bullying, ragging or non accidental injury to a child by a parent or care taker/guardian.
- VERBAL ABUSE:- Belittling or threatening a child resulting in emotional trauma.
- NEGLECT:- Failure to protect a child from any kind of danger, starvation, illness etc resulting in the significant impairment of child`s health.
- SEXUAL ABUSE:- Involvement of Children in sexual activities like pornography which violates normal family roles.
- EMOTIONAL ABUSE:- Significant emotional ill treatment or rejections resulting in severe emotional harm.
- BULLYING:- Unwanted aggressive behaviour which may fall under following categories:
- Verbal Bullying: - Taunting, threatening, abusing, teasing etc.
- Physical Bullying: - Pinching, hitting, beating, spitting etc.
- Social Bullying: - Isolating, Embarrassing publically, teasing etc.
- Cyber Bullying: - Use of technology to harass, threaten or embarrass a person, hacking.
- Stalking: - To follow someone who even shows disinterest, hacking etc.
SCHOOL’S PROVISIONS TO SAFEGUARD:-
- Counselling session of students.
- Orientation sessions for parents.
- Code of Conduct.
- Mock Drills.
- Special Educators.
- Lady guards in the classrooms and transport.
- No mobile zone.
- Emergency no. at reception.
- CCTV cameras.
- Display through TV in the corridors.
ELEMENTS / AREAS OF CPP:-
- INFRASTRUCTURE: - Ramp, lift chairs, lift, well lit and ventilated space. CCTV cameras, security guards, fire safety, clean and cold drinking water, building safety etc.
- HUMAN RESOURCES:-
- Recruitment procedure
- Appraisal system
- Regular workshops for capacity building
- AEP (Adolescent Education Program)
- CCQ Methodology
- Founders` to channelize energy
- Performance assembly to unleash student’s talent
- Self defence classes
- COMPLAINT REDRESSAL: - Children point of view is respected, grievance addressed in an unbiased way.
- CODE OF CONDUCT is a printed document of the school.
- FOLLOW UPS
- CYBER SECURITY
PROVISION FOR STUDENT WITH SPECIAL NEEDS:-
The students with special education needs are taken care of as follows:
- These students have easy access to the counselors.
- Special education needs instructor helps children assess day to day life.
- Extra classes are specially designed and conducted.
- They are provided with special syllabus, question papers and scribes etc.
PREVENTIONS RELATED TO CHILD PROTECTION POLICY:-
CPP is reflected in the way an organization conducts its activities and the way staff behaves. VHS as an organization headed by The Principal and co-supported by the Administrator has a team of teaching and non teaching staff to care for the Physical and Psychological needs of children.
- The entire student body is divided into junior and senior wing with separate rooms and corridors.
- The senior wing is divided into four houses. The student council helps to monitor and excel their leadership skills.
- Children follow proper daily schedule which is vigilantly supervised by the responsible adults.
- School counselors regularly take sessions and are trained to identify early symptoms of abuse.
- All new recruits are provided with a copy of Code of Conduct of the school.
- Any visitor if wants to visit the school, has to follow a proper procedure.
- Teachers can be friendly with the students but are not supposed to be their friends.
- Life skills education has been embedded in the school curriculum.
- Infirmary is accessible for children who are unwell. They are supervised by trained nurse.
- Consent slips are signed by parents for tours and other such educational outings.
- Out pass is compulsory in case any student/staff member needs to go out during working hours.
- School has discipline Committee, Health and Hygiene Committee, Sexual Harassment Committee and Bus Committee. These committees along with Traffic Police department regularly conduct awareness sessions and mock drills to combat any difficult and unforeseen situation in the benefit of students.
COMPLAINT REDRESSAL SYSTEM:-
VHS has a well defined system to ensure that there is no abuse, neglect or maltreatment of any child. There is a system of addressing the grievances of children.
- Every child has a right to complain his/her concern to authorities. This should be in written form
- Suggestion box is easily accessible to children.
- The suggestions/ complaints are regularly checked by the Principal in the presence of discipline committee.
- The committee enquires in to every complaint along with details, date, witness and other such documentary proof. Code of conduct and C.P Policy is followed thoroughly.
- The committee can at its discretion calls any person as a witness who it believes, has something to contribute to inquiry process.
- Both the parties are given an opportunity of being heard and a copy of the findings be made available to both if required as per the situation.
- The committee reviews and identifies the substance of each aspect of complaint unbiased.
- The committee also comments on any underlying factor(s) that may have contributed to the incident.
- All responses, documents and statements are kept confidential.
- Depending upon the type of complaint, the following consequences may be applicable.
- Formal warning letter.
- Apology letter signed by Parents.
- Forfeiture of privileges.
- Suspension (Temporarily).
- Suspension (Permanently) and TC to be issued.
- Confidentiality to be maintained to protect sensitive personal date. It is to be shared with only those persons who have legitimate reasons to access the information.
CHILD PROTECTION REVIEW:-
Regular feedbacks and follow ups from different segments of people are analyzed by authorities for necessary actions and interventions. The security system of school is monitored regularly.